Time: 8:30 am - 4:00 pm
Location: Community Justice Alternatives of Durham Region
ONE DAY SYMPOSIUM PRESENTED BY
DURHAM DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION – COMMUNITY OF PRACTICE & YOUTH JUSTICE ONTARIO
Who is this symposium for?
INFLUENCERS IN YOUR ORGANIZATION – front-line staff, managers & directors & board members – are all welcome.
Free Parking on site!
Payment by cheque to Murray McKinnon Foundation, 11 Ash St, Oshawa, ON L1H 8L3 (please reference UOI2019) or by PayPal in the registration form.
Registration & Continental Breakfast 8:30 – 9:00
Welcoming Remarks & Introductions
- Kike Ojo, Principle, The Kojo Institute
- Amber Crowe, Executive Director, Dnaagdawenmag Binnoojiiyag Child & Family Services
Lunch: Tastes from Around the World
DEI in Durham Region & Eastern Ontario,
Lessons Learned and Future Approaches
Moderated by Suzette Lewis & Nicola Crow, Durham DEI-CoP Co-Chairs
- Rona Jualla van Oudenhoven – Durham Children’s Aid Society
- Sarah Hickman – Region of Durham
- Kike Ojo – The Kojo Institute
- Amber Crowe – Dnaagdawenmag Binnoojiiyag Child & Family Services
- Shailene Panylo – Youth Advisory Member – Durham Children’s Aid Society
- Tristan Williams, Youth Advisory, UOIT Student
Afternoon Workshops (Choose 1) Will provide usable information that attendees can take back to their organizations:
- Accessibility in Durham Region & Eastern Ontario Presented by Hermia Corbette, Accessibility Champion for Durham Region, of Community Development Council Durham – Hermia will provide usable tools for improving accessibility.
- Positive Space Initiative Presented Oliver Forbes, Positive Space Champion for Durham Region – Oliver will provide relevant & inspiring information on the various ways we can maintain positive spaces so that everyone feels welcome & included.
- Diversity in Executive & Management Roles Presented by Deloitte LLP – Skill worksheets for leadership – Evaluation & Skills – handy tools for looking at how our Directors and Managers can self-assess current skills and broaden their organizations to meet the needs of our communities.
Networking and Organization Table Visits
- Free Professional Headshots — Donated by Purple Door Creative (touchups with pricing to be provided by Purple Door Creative) – two photographers will be set up throughout the day to offer professional head shots.
- Social Media Coverage — Donated by Sue Sutcliffe – Sue will be covering the entire event and posting live on various social media sites – registration implies permission to post images – opting out is available by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Community Partners’ Table Displays — Organizations are welcome to request a Display Table to educate our attendees on the services they offer. Tables can be arranged by contacting Audrey Isenor
We are committed to an inclusive community with accessible goods, services, and facilities that respect the dignity and independence of persons with disabilities. Our registration and event are available in an accessible format or with appropriate communication support upon request.
GRATEFUL TO OUR SPONSOR – YOUTH JUSTICE ONTARIO
Bookings are closed for this event.