This is a 21-hour course. Participants are exposed to a comprehensive survey of community mediation.
Community mediation is part of a social justice, peacebuilding endeavour that seeks to promote healthy communities through the peaceful resolution of conflict. Training will provide volunteers with a full understanding of the core values of community mediation as defined by OCMC/CMCO and by CJA Durham.
The community mediation model used by OCMC/CMCO is one of several models utilized in the field of conflict resolution.
It is expected that at the end of the seminar participants will be able to:
- Understand Transformative Mediation which includes the core values and assumptions that underpin this model of co-mediation which differs from settlement-based or other types of interest-based mediation and negotiation.
- Understand conflict analysis
- Use effective communication and active listening skills
- Understand why mediators are to be neutral and impartial
- Understand the impact of culture and identify
- Mediators should be able to understand, identify and address power imbalances in the mediation process
- Understand the elements of a balanced and effective understanding in the resolution of conflict, such as the S.M.A.R.T. tool. This 21-training prepares you to apply to our Community Mediation Roster. Applications will be available at the end of training.
Please note the if you have taken either a full 21-hour Restorative Justice Skills Training or Community Mediation Skills Training you are eligible for our NEW CROSSOVER TRAINING to earn a duplicate Certificate!
- Community Mediation Training - CJA Durham (Durham Community Mediation Program) - 21 hours - 2020/10/27 - 2020/11/05 - 9:00 am - 12:30 pm